The city of Amsterdam is a popular destination for friends off on a weekend break. No wonder, as there are plenty of things to do in this charming city.
Stroll around the markets, rent a bike or simply do a canal cruise. Explore the city on foot is a favourite of mine.
6 travel tips for Amsterdam
- De Foodhallen is a cool place to go for informal dining or drinks. I enjoyed a platter of dimsum and a gin tonic on my own on my last visit.
- IAmsterdam City Card can be a smart investment if you plan to travel a lot around by public transport, as well as to visit some sights in Amsterdam.
- Touring the canals on a sightseeing boat is of course very touristy, but still – I did enjoy it. A nice way to see Amsterdam.
- Visit the Van Gogh-museum and the Rijksmuseum. The museums are positioned close to one another.
- Take the train to Rotterdam and spend a day or two there. Rotterdam is cool and exciting city, where innovation, creativity and experimentation is visible. The train ride takes no more than 45 min.
- Lloyd Hotel & Cultural Embassy is a super cool hotel, where you can live according to the price level you want. The hotel has rooms from 1 star to 5 stars, and my favourite is the one at the top, as shown in the picture at the top of this article. The hotel also has a nice restaurant, which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.